"St. Mark parish is a Christian Catholic Community which responds to the call of Jesus by living and sharing the gospel values"
Parish Pastoral Council is an advisory group of lay people who volunteer to assist the pastor in determining and serving the needs of the parish.
THE PURPOSE of this Parish Pastoral Council is to promote the spiritual growth of the parish community and to plan ways for the parish to carry out the Mission of the Church. It is responsible for developing a pastoral plan for the parish and does so in the following ways:
- Listen to and evaluate the overall experience and quality of life of the parish community.
- Develop and recommend parish pastoral plans and priorities
- Develop and review the parish Mission Statement and Vision
- Listen to parishioners by means of meetings, surveys and the census.
- Identify key needs and concerns of the people of the parish.
- Delegate specific tasks to the appropriate commissions.
The pastoral council is a consultative body that makes recommendations to the pastor.
The Council is comprised of the Parish priest, the office secretary, representatives from the liturgical commission, Ladies Club, Knights of Columbus, Buildings and Grounds commission, member at large, and a representative of the Finance Council.
The council meets monthly except in July & August and as needed to provide for special concerns.
Parish Council membership consists of:
- The Pastor
- Rep. from the finance committee
- Rep from Liturgical committee
- Rep form buildings and maintenance
- Rep from the Knights of Columbus
- Rep. from the Ladies of St. Mark
- Two appointed members at large
This committee meets two or three times a year to plan for the liturgical seasons.
Building and Maintenance Committee
This committee is made up of a group of parishioners who volunteer their time to do most of the maintenance in the church and the rectory. This group also outlines any major expenditures that will be needed in the future to replace and update the building. They work in conjunction with the Parish and Finance Councils.
Ladies of St. Mark
The Ladies group is made up of women of various ages from the parish who are willing and able to share their time and talents. The money they raise is donated to the parish. Their meetings are held in the church basement every second Wednesday of the month except for January, June, July and August. After the initial brainstorming meeting in September, money making plans are made for the year. The women help out with and organize Parish activities such as the fall supper, the fall bazaar, the spring tea and bake sale, and cater funeral lunches. Throughout the year they have work bees to make turkey pies, cabbage rolls and perogies.
There is fun as well as work involved. Camaraderie is developed and is enjoyed by the women. Newcomers are always welcome. All upcoming events and work bees are in the weekly bulletin. For more information; please call the parish office at (306) 764-4637.
St. Mark Knights of Columbus Council 5543
The Council was started in 1964 with the initiation on May 24th. The meetings are held in the church basement on the fourth Tuesday of every month except July and August.
The members volunteer, participate and celebrate in several events such as:
- Canvassing for the Cancer Society
- Participate in the "Celebration for Life" parade
- Members have bingos at Mont St. Joseph Home on the fourth Wednesday of the winter months. This has been occurring for the past 30 years.
- Annual food booth at the PA Exhibition.
They contribute to various organizations such as the Prince Albert Food Bank, Catholic Family Services, Canadian red Cross, and John Bosco Camp just to name a few. The most abundant recipient of course is St. Mark Parish where they contribute to the fall supper, assemble the outside Christmas manger, sponsor pancake breakfasts after mass and for the annual May meeting, and donate money for various church projects.
There are 100 members who provide these volunteers hours for the contributions and always welcome new members.
For more information please contact the parish office ( 306 ) - 764 - 4637.